Donor Benefit Programs
LifeShare Blood Centers is a nonprofit organization that supplies blood and blood components to community hospitals predominately in the south central United States. This is possible because people volunteer to donate.
A Donor Benefit Plan is available for these volunteers and those those that make it possible to continuing to supply blood to their communities. The benefit plan is a reimbursement of up to $500 per eligible person for processing fees of blood and blood components transfused at any U.S. Hospital.
While there is no charge for blood itself, there is a processing fee for blood collection, testing, storage, and distribution. Hospital charges such as “type and crossmatch,” “transfusion fees,” or “administrative fee,” are not eligible for reimbursements.
To become eligible for this benefit, you must either be a donor or participate in a group that sponsors blood drives that meet eligibility requirements.
The Family Benefit option is available to donors who donate blood, plasma or platelets. The donor receives benefits that begin with the date of their last donation. Coverage is extended to the donor, spouse and tax dependents. A student donor who is a tax dependent is given coverage for donor, parents other tax dependents living in the home.
Coverage extends for one year from date of last donation and is effective immediately for blood used due to accident or childbirth, and 30 days after the first donation for all other conditions. Donors renewing existing blood plans are exempt from the 30-day waiting period.
At time of donation, donor may waive the plan for self and designate benefits in another person’s name. (Must provide name, address, and contact information of designee)
Donations classified as Directed, Autologous, Therapeutic, or Replenishment donations, do not qualify for the Donor Benefit Plan or recognition gifts.
A Group Benefit option is available to any business, club, church or association when at least 40% of a group’s membership donates. All members, spouses and tax dependents will be recognized under the Donor Benefit Plan.
- Required number of donations must be completed within six months of the beginning date, unless group holds more than two drives per plan year.
- Group member may donate at other LifeShare locations and choose to give credit to any group.
- Coverage is effective immediately and extends one year from date of the first drive.
- Plan agreement is signed each year by organization’s leadership and chairperson
- Membership means: the number of company employees, club members, active church families or association members.
- A group may choose to exclude members over 65 from the total. The Medicare blood deductible is not charged to patients at hospitals where LifeShare supplies blood.
- If group does not meet 40% donation requirement donors are still covered under Family Benefit Plan.
- Student blood drive groups are not eligible for the group plan.
- If group does not reach 40% within specified time frame, additional blood drives may be scheduled
To receive benefits, complete a LifeShare Donor Benefit Claim Form within six months of the hospital discharge date.