Lake Charles Flood Wall Project
Many of our longtime supporters will remember the devastating effects Hurricanes Rita and Ike had on our Lake Charles facility in 2005 and 2008. Flood damage closed the blood center for nine months after Rita and five months after Ike. Approximately 1.5 million dollars was needed to repair or replace furnishings, fixtures, equipment and supplies. For many months after both hurricanes services were provided by LifeShare centers 75 miles away. It was a challenging time for our staff, our donors and the medical facilities we served in southwest Louisiana.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has approved and is helping fund the construction of a protective flood wall. FEMA deemed a four foot high, eight inch thick flood wall around the perimeter of the blood center property necessary to protect it from future flooding. The wall protects the blood center, its contents and equipment allowing immediate access to services once the flood waters recede. Immediately reinstating local services means blood deliveries for patients can be made in a timely, cost effective manner and residents can give locally to help support the community’s supply.
The total project cost is $715,000. FEMA has agreed to contribute $400,400 towards the project. LifeShare has submitted a Capital Outlay Request to the State of Louisiana for $157,300. A local match of $157,300 must be raised to fully fund the project. Your financial support is needed to help raise the local match.
Rendering of the proposed four–foot high flood wall with retractable gates designed to protect the blood center and its contents during a flood.
Here’s how you can help:
- Make a financial contribution on behalf of the project
- On-line giving is conveniently available at www.lifeshare.org/contribute
- Printable contribution forms are also available at www.lifeshare.org/contribute if you prefer to mail a donation to LifeShare, or
- Financial donations designated for the flood wall can be hand delivered to the LifeShare facility nearest you.
- Invite someone to join you in making a financial contribution to help raise the local match
- Visit with your employer about making a corporate donation or grant award available through your organization or foundation.
- Email, call or visit with your Louisiana legislator asking them to support LifeShare’s Capital Outlay Request for Lake Charles’ Flood Wall Project, sponsored by Senator Ronnie Johns
Reaching our goal to raise local funds maximizes our funding opportunities and allows LifeShare to proceed with the project as soon as possible. Please consider a contribution of any amount. For more information or to share funding opportunities contact our Development Director, Daphne Terral, at 318.651.4415 or email the Development Department.
LifeShare Blood Centers achieves our goals with the continued support of our donors and the residents we serve. Thank you for supporting us. Lives depend on it, and we depend on you!
Margaret E. Wallace
President & CEO of LifeShare Blood Centers
For updates on the ground breaking of this project go to KPLC's website.