News Releases

Critical Equipment Funded by Foundation for SETX installed at LifeShare

Beaumont, Texas, April 19, 2018 – LifeShare Blood Center installs an automated external defibrillator (AED) at its Beaumont facility. The rapid rise of cardiac events occurring in public places influenced LifeShare’s request to the Foundation for Southeast Texas to fund the purchase. The Foundation granted the funding request and today the AED is installed.

Defibrillation within one minute of collapse increases the chance of survival by 90%. For every minute without defibrillation, the chance of survival decreases by 7-10%. Having AEDs on site reassures donors of LifeShare’s commitment to safety. “Ensuring our donors’ safety is paramount to LifeShare because donors who feel safe and comfortable give more frequently. Frequent donors, those who give whole blood every two months or platelets every two weeks, help sustain the community’s depleted supply,” explains Randy Hufstetler, Director of Human Resources.

LifeShare’s fastest growing donor demographic is senior adults 60-85 years old. Our donors are living long, healthier lives and they support activities associated with community responsibility such as giving blood. Unfortunately, their age makes them more vulnerable to emergency health scares.

The American Heart Association estimates that about 250,000 people die of coronary heart disease each year. Ninety-five percent of people who experience cardiac arrest die within the nine minutes it takes for emergency responders to reach them. By installing an AED, LifeShare is increasing the level of donor safety by providing immediate lifesaving treatment for potential victims of cardiac arrest.

LifeShare’s Beaumont facility is located at 4305 Laurel Street and serves medical facilities in seven southeast Texas counties. The mission of LifeShare Blood Center is to connect donors and the lives they impact. Become part of the lifesaving team make an appointment to donate blood by calling the facility at (409) 838-5289 or schedule an appointment online at www.lifeshare.org.

# # # # #