Our Visionary Tradition
With World War II raging, resources of all kinds were scarce. Dried plasma was desperately needed to support the war effort and the community. Despite war-induced shortages, the Shreveport Chamber of Commerce received a U.S. Government High Priority approval rating to obtain the building materials and equipment needed to open a blood center.
The vision of concerned Shreveport area citizens, business leaders and members of the health and medical communities became a reality when our organization was incorporated in 1942 as Shreveport Memorial Blood Bank.
Blood banking was still in its infancy in 1942. With the first blood bank established in Chicago only six years earlier, the idea of citizens donating blood on a regular basis was still a new concept for the nation. The visionaries who created the Shreveport Memorial Blood Bank immediately set out to involve the community in blood donation.
The legacy left by the founders is one of commitment, compassion, and never-ending vision. It is a great privilege and noble responsibility to carry on that legacy. Today, LifeShare Blood Centers provides blood components to medical facilities throughout Louisiana, East Texas, and South Arkansas. Cutting edge work in rare blood trait identification has led to LifeShare’s leadership position in providing rare blood components to patients nationally and internationally.
LifeShare Blood Centers continues its pursuit of excellence to achieve and maintain the highest levels of service to donors and patients alike. The journey has taken LifeShare through many changes over the years, ranging from name changes to reflect growth, to the many technological advances. One thing has remained the same throughout our history – the dependence on generous, caring people to share the Gift of Life. There is still no substitute for human blood. Without the continued support of volunteer blood donors, LifeShare Blood Centers cannot exist.
1942 - Shreveport, LA Memorial Blood Bank organized by civic and medical leaders
1943 - Officially opened on April 5, collecting blood for processing into dried plasma
1944 - Acquired additional equipment to collect whole blood and liquid plasma
1968 - Plastic containers replace glass for collection, processing and storage of blood and blood components
1976 - Official name change from Shreveport Emergency Blood Bank to Shreveport Regional Blood Center
1976 - Two years prior to legislation requiring labeling as “volunteer” or “paid” donor, the blood center moves to an all-volunteer donor base
1979 - Official name changed from Shreveport Regional Blood Center to Louisiana Blood Center
1979 - Alexandria, LA and Monroe, LA centers established; first mobile donor coach acquired and placed in service
1981 - Lake Charles, LA center established 1986 Blood Center of Southwest Louisiana (Beaumont, TX) merged with Louisiana Blood Center
1996 - Official name change from “Louisiana Blood Center & Blood Center of Southeast Texas” to “LifeShare Blood Centers”
1998 - Bossier City, LA facility established
2004 - Clinical Immunohematology and Scientific Support Services established within Reference Laboratories with the arrival of world-renowned immunohematologists Joann Moulds, PhD, MT(ASCP)SBB, and John Moulds, MT(ASCP)SBB.
2005 - Baton Rouge, LA center established
2006 - LifeShare first in Louisiana and seventh in the nation to have genotyping capabilities
2007 - El Dorado, AR facility established
2010 - Texarkana, AR center acquired from United Blood Services
2011 - Dedication of the John J. Moulds Reference & Scientific Support Laboratories